Keto Lamb Shanks in the Instant Pot
Serves 6 | Total Time: 3 hours and 50 minutes
Perks: Instapot Friendly
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 3 ½ hours
6 each Lamb shanks
1/4 Cup Olive oil
2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Pepper
2 each Carrots, roughly chopped
2 each Celery, roughly chopped
1 each Onion, roughly chopped
2 Cup Red Wine
2 Cups Chicken Stock
1 Can Tomatoes
3 each Bay Leaves
1 Sprig Rosemary
3 Sprig Oregano
1 Tbsp Peppercorns
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over high heat. While the oil is heating up, season your lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
- Once lamb shanks are seasoned, sear the lamb shanks on all sides in the pot. You want to sear the shanks hard and fast. So, try to keep the oil hot by not over crowding the pan. Once the first round of shanks is done, transfer them to a braising dish. The dish needs to be deep enough to have the shanks safely submerged.
- Now that all the shanks are seared, reduce the heat to the stock pot to medium high heat. Add the carrots, celery, and onions. Cook the vegetables until they are caramelized (about 15 minutes).
- Add the red wine and tomatoes. Using a rubber spatula, scrape the bottom of the stock pot. Try to get all of the caramelized substance (fond) off the bottom and into the sauce. Reduce the liquid by half.
- Add the chicken stock. Then turn off the heat.
- Add bay leaf, oregano, rosemary, and peppercorns into the braising dish with lamb shanks the pour the liquid and vegetables over. Make sure the shanks are submerged (at least 75% submerged). Cover with aluminum foil and braise in the oven for 3 hours.
- Once the shanks are done cooking, they should be fall off the bone tender. If you do not have a sauce in mind, then just take the braising liquid and reduce it down into a delicious sauce.
*you can also use the braising liquid to cook rice, potatoes, or anything you want really.