Paula’s Choice BHA has won countless beauty awards and a cult-favorite for years. Whether you’re battling breakouts or signs of aging, BHA can help improve the look and feel of your skin. But can you use Paula’s Choice BHA everyday?
Most people have been told that exfoliants should only be used a few times a week. Is Paula’s Choice BHA different? Can it really be a part of your daily skincare routine? Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients in this product and how to use it.
Paula’s Choice BHA Ingredients
Paula’s Choice is very transparent about their ingredients, and they also explain the purpose of each ingredient to help you understand what you’re applying and its effects.
- Water: The first ingredient on the list, which means it has the highest concentration of all ingredients. It helps moisturize the skin and improve absorption of other ingredients.
- Methylpropanediol: An ingredient that helps improve absorption of other components in the product.
- Butylene Glycol: A humectant that boosts hydration and helps smooth the skin.
- Salicylic Acid: Also known as BHA, or beta hydroxy acid. BHA exfoliates the skin by dissolving the bonds that prevent dead skin cells from shedding. Because this ingredient is oil soluble, it can penetrate and exfoliate the pores. That’s why BHA can be so effective at reducing blackheads and whiteheads.
- Polysorbate 20: A mild cleansing agent that’s derived from lauric acid (coconut-based).
- Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract: Rich in antioxidants and has soothing effects.
- Sodium Hydroxide: Also known as lye, this ingredient helps maintain the product’s pH. It’s a common ingredient in cosmetic products.
- Tetrasodium EDTA: A chelating ingredient that helps prevent metals and minerals from bonding to other ingredients. This ingredient is considered a good stabilizer.
As you can see, Paula’s Choice BHA contains a good mix of hydrating ingredients in addition to its exfoliating star ingredient – salicylic acid.
What Does BHA Do For Your Skin?
BHA is considered a chemical exfoliant, and its primary purpose is to remove dead skin cells from the surface of your skin.
Many exfoliating products are physical exfoliants, which means that they physically slough away dead skin cells. A sugar scrub is an excellent example of a physical exfoliant.
BHA works on a chemical level to remove dead skin by dissolving the bonds that make them stick to your skin’s surface. While this may seem like a harsh process, it isn’t. In addition, BHA has anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe your skin as you exfoliate.
On a more technical level, BHA works its magic on the top layers of your skin by lifting dead skin cells away to reveal the youthful, radiant skin underneath. BHA can:
- Penetrate the pores and exfoliate its linings
- Help unclog pores
- Help reduce pore size
Because of its hydrating, soothing and exfoliating properties, BHA can help with:
- Clogged pores
- Enlarged pores
- Fine lines and wrinkles
Many people assume that scrubs and physical exfoliants are the gentler option, but the truth is that chemical exfoliants like BHA are gentler and kinder to the skin.
How To Apply Paula’s Choice BHA
The great thing about Paula’s Choice BHA is that it’s so easy to apply. It takes just seconds to exfoliate your skin.
Here’s what to do:
- First, make sure that you cleanse and tone. These two steps will make it easier for your skin to absorb the product.
- Apply Paula’s Choice BHA using either a cotton pad or your fingers.
- Do not rinse.
- Follow the rest of your skincare routine. For daytime use, make sure that you’re applying sunscreen with an SPF 30 or higher.
You can apply this product all over your face, or in trouble areas.
How Much Paula’s Choice BHA to Use
One big question people have about BHA is how much is too much? How much should you be applying when using this product?
A little goes a long way with Paula’s Choice BHA. It has a liquid consistency, so you won’t need much to cover your face. Fortunately, the product comes out in drops, so it’s easy to experiment with different amounts to see how much you need.
You only need enough for a thin coating, so be conservative at first.
How Long Does Paula’s Choice BHA Take to Work?
Chemical exfoliants get right to work getting rid of dead skin cells, but it can still take some time to see noticeable results.
According to Paula’s Choice, results can take:
- 1-3 weeks, depending on how frequently you apply the product
Of course, you’ll need to continue using the product to maintain your results. Some people see results faster, but generally, you’ll need to use this product for at least a few weeks before you notice any changes.
If you use Niacinamide, can you use Paula’s Choice BHA everyday? Let’s find out.
Can I Use Paula’s Choice BHA with Niacinamide?
Niacinamide, or vitamin B3, is a popular skincare ingredient that helps with hydration and skin brightening. Many people wonder whether BHA and niacinamide can be used together to help unclog pores and even out their skin tone. But is it okay to pair these ingredients, or will they be too harsh for your skin?
Yes, you can use BHA and niacinamide together. In fact, Paula’s Choice sells a BHA and niacinamide duo.
However, the company does caution that if you have sensitive skin, you may need to alternate these products by using one in the morning and one in the evening.
Do You Moisturize After Paula’s Choice BHA?
If you’ve never used a chemical exfoliant like BHA, you may not know whether it’s okay to apply moisturizer afterward. After all, chemical exfoliants take some time to work. Won’t moisturizers and other products affect their efficacy?
Paula’s Choice recommends applying BHA after you’ve cleansed and toned your skin. Once you’ve applied your exfoliant, you should apply the rest of the products in your routine (serums, moisturizers, etc.) in the order of their texture – from thinnest to thickest.
The company states that you do not need to wait to apply your moisturizer either. The BHA will work its magic even after you apply other products to your skin.
Can I Use Paula’s Choice BHA Exfoliant Every Day?
Yes, you can apply BHA every day. It’s easy to incorporate this product into your daily skincare routine.
However, Paula’s Choice recommends starting off slowly when using this product for the first time. Initially, you should only be applying BHA every other day. Then, over time, you can increase your use to twice per day (morning and evening).
Many people find that applying it just once per day is enough to keep their skin looking radiant and youthful.
Paula’s Choice BHA Liquid Vs Gel
If it’s in liquid or gel form, can you use Paula’s Choice BHA everyday? Yes, but there are a few things to consider when making your choice.
The Skin Perfecting 2% BHA liquid is Paula’s Choice’s most famous and popular BHA product, but they also offer a BHA gel product. In fact, the brand has a number of different types of BHA products to help you meet your needs, including lotions.
But what’s the difference between the two, and which one is best for you?
- BHA liquid is a gentle leave-on exfoliant that’s easy to apply and can be used up to twice daily.
- BHA gel is a bit easier to apply because of its thicker consistency.
Paula’s Choice recommends BHA gel for combination skin. According to the company, their liquid BHA is great for all skin types and especially oily skin.
Really, it comes down to personal preference here. The gel variation includes grape seed extract, which gives it a slightly more hydrating effect.
Best Online Shops to Buy Paula’s Choice BHA
One great thing about Paula’s Choice BHA is that it’s so easy to find online. Of course, you can purchase their BHA products from their official store, but you can find some great deals when you buy from other retailers.
Some of the best online shops to buy Paula’s Choice include:
- Sephora – They carry a wide range of the brand’s products.
- Amazon – Paula’s Choice has an Amazon store, so you can purchase genuine products and enjoy the convenience of 2-day shipping with Prime.
- Nordstrom – You can find a variety of BHA products as well as other items from Paula’s Choice.
- Dermstore – They carry the 4 oz. variation of the BHA liquid product.
You can also find people selling Paula’s Choice BHA on Poshmark and eBay. Be careful when buying from online marketplaces like these because you may not receive a genuine product. Make sure that you’re buying from a reputable and official source.
Paula’s Choice BHA Liquid
Paula’s Choice BHA liquid has been a fan-favorite for years, and its gentle formula makes it suitable for daily use. And if you find that you need a stronger solution, the brand offers a 4% and 9% concentration for spot treatments and to combat signs of aging.
If you’re looking for a simple way to exfoliate your skin while keeping it hydrated and preventing irritation, Paula’s Choice BHA is a great choice. However, if you’re just getting started with this product and want to give it a try, consider the travel size. It will give you a chance to see whether you like the product before committing to a full-size bottle.