Low Carb Beef Stew
Serves 5 | Time: 1 Hour 45 Mins
- 2 lb. beef chuck roast, cut into 1″ cubes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into rounds
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp. freshly chopped rosemary
- 0.8 pound diced pumpkin (optional)
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the oil and heat until shimmering.
- Sprinkle the beef with 1 teaspoon of salt. Add the beef to the pot in a single layer (you’ll likely need to work in batches) and cook until browned on all sides, about 3 minutes per batch. Add additional oil as needed between batches. Remove all beef to a bowl and set aside.
- To same pot, add onion, carrots, and celery and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add red wine vinegar and tomato paste and stir to coat vegetables. Optional: add the pumpkin if you want the stew to include more vegetables.
- Add the beef back to the skillet along with the beef broth, rosemary, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Cook over low heat for 1 ½ hours or until beef is tender.
- Remove bay leaf and sprinkle with parsley before serving.